Campus Safety Information and Resources
In Case of Emergency
Call 911 for police, fire, health, and other emergencies
Southwestern Michigan College has police protection from the city of Dowagiac Police Department, the Cass County Sheriff, Michigan State Police, and the Pokagon Band Tribal Police. Do not hesitate to call 911 if you are experiencing an emergency. Describe which campus (Dowagiac or Niles) you are at and try to include as much detail as possible, including building location and room location or room number.
each room on campus has a poster that shows the room number and address of the room you are in, as shown in the example below.
Non-Emergency Contact Information
if immediate, non-emergency assistance is needed on the dowagiac campus call 269-782-1234 or dial 1234 from any campus phone. on the niles campus, contact the uniformed officer or deputy.
the campus security office is located on the dowagiac campus in the briegel building, room 2104. on the niles campus the security desk is located in the administration suite. these locations are staffed during business hours and can be contacted for non-emergency questions during business hours at 269-783-2194 (dowagiac), 269-687-1600 (niles) or email@example.com.
Report Suspicious or Concerning Information
students, staff and others can report information that they feel may be concerning by using smc’s
新皇冠体育APP下载this report can be filed anonymously and is a way to notify college officials of information.
- Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Reporting and Resources
Mental Health/Suicide Resources
for emergencies, call 911.
all of southwestern michigan college’s registered students and staff will receive alert information regarding school closings, weather alerts, and other emergencies through the smc alert (rave) system. the system will automatically send out notifications to personal phone numbers on file and to smc email addresses. students and employees may also elect to receive text alerts. to update your information and to sign up for text alerts go to .
Severe Weather/Tornado Procedures
Active Violence Procedures
新皇冠体育APP下载if there is an active violence situation on campus, the college will issue a run, hide, fight directive.
- Run away if you know what/where the threat is, or
- Hide where you are, being sure to silence cell phones, lock or barricade doors, turn out lights, remain quiet, and
- Prepare to fight to defend yourself using whatever you can to survive.
- Help the wounded when you can do so safely. Apply direct pressure and first aid techniques. AED boxes throughout campus have Bleeding Control Tourniquets in them.
- Don’t come back or leave a hiding place until notified through the SMC ALERT system to resume activities.
Policies Related to Minors on Campus
Policies Related to Minors on Campus (Criminal Background Check Procedure)
- Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
Know What to Do in an Emergency
新皇冠体育APP下载those in active or imminent danger will receive emergency alerts with instructions – evacuate, seek shelter, or lockdown. the breadth and timing of notification for any type of emergency will depend upon the individual incident.
to prepare yourself in advance for a lockdown, we recommend watching the informative video prepared by ready houston.
Run, Hide, Fight
You will receive this notice if there is an active shooter or other violence on campus.
- Run away if you know what/where the threat is or hide where you are, being sure to silence cell phones, lock or barricade doors, turn out lights, remain quiet, and prepare to fight to defend yourself using whatever you can to survive.
- Warn others if possible.
- Help the wounded when you can do so safely. Apply direct pressure and first aid techniques.
- Wait for official notice via RAVE alert to resume activities.
You will receive this notice if there is danger inside or near the building.
- Leave the building; do not use elevators.
- Assist the disabled.
- Take your cell phone and valuables with you.
- Be aware of outside threats/attacks as you exit.
- Proceed to an area that has suitable cover (brick and mortar) in case of an exterior attack.
- Wait for official notice before attempting to re-enter the building.
You will receive this notice if there is severe weather or an environmental danger outside.
- Seek shelter inside a building and remain there.
- Go to the lowest level of the building and stay in interior hallways away from glass doors and windows.
- Monitor TV or website news, if possible.
- Wait for official notice to resume normal activities.